Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Love of the Cross


When we think of Jesus on the cross, we are drawn to think:  “What are the reasons for what He has done for us, why did some make fun of Him while others cried, and what was it like for Him on that Good Friday?”  Our text from Matthew speaks of a darkness which “came over all the land,” and what follows that description is a quote from Psalm 22.  These are fairly familiar words to many of us.  We think of He who loved us before we loved Him, and we should never forget this.   But this Sunday, I would like us to spend some time focusing on the responsibilities that we, who receive this love, have.  For this perspective, we look at John chapter 6:25-40.  I would encourage you to read all of John 6 before Sunday morning, and then as you read Matthew 27:45-50, ask yourself: what is my responsibility in receiving Christ’s love. 

·         The Old Testament speaks of “darkness” several times.  Look up Amos 8:9 and Joel 2:31 to get some idea of what the theme of “darkness” is in these passages and ponder if there is any similarity to what we read in Matthew 27.

·         When reading through John 6, look for the perspective which the people of that day had, and the perspective Jesus had.  What was the perspective from the side of man and his responsibility to receive what God offers, and from the perspective of God and His sovereignty to accomplish His saving purposes?  Were they the same perspectives?

·         Do we see any similarities in John 4:15 (the woman at the well) to what we read in John 6?

·         In John 6:35 Jesus says, “I am the bread of life.  He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.”  What type of hunger and thirst was he talking about, and does this mean we will never hunger and thirst again?  And if we do hunger and thirst, does this mean we have failed to understand our responsibilities in receiving Christ’s love?

I would appreciate your prayers for me as I finish my thoughts this week seeking to find God’s Word, and I thank you for the invitation to be with you.  See you Sunday.