Wednesday, July 16, 2014

"Life with a Limp" - Doug Rehberg

Arnold Schwarzenegger once said, “Every person I have ever met who has accomplished anything has done it to compensate for some weakness in their life.  All my body building was done to compensate for a sense of inadequacy and weakness in my life at an early age.”

James Toney, the former World Champion middle-weight boxer once said, “I fight with anger.  My dad, he did my mother wrong.  He made my mom work two jobs and he left his responsibilities behind and I can never forgive him for that.  I hope my father reads this article because if he ever decided to come out of the woodwork, I’ll be ready for him.  Everything I do is about that.  I look at my opponent and I see in his face my dad and I have to take him out.  I’ll do anything to get my dad out of him.”

Burt Reynolds once said in a Parade magazine interview, “My dad was Chief of Police and when he came into a room all the oxygen went out of it.  There’s a saying in the south that no man is a man until his father tells him he is.  It means that someday when you’re thirty or forty, this man who you respect and want to love you says to you, ‘You’re a man now and I love you.’  But you know, my dad never said that to me.  We never hugged, never kissed, never said, ‘I love you.’  (Reynolds paused and said) ‘So what happened was that later I was desperately looking for someone who would say, ‘You’re grown up, Burt, and I approve of you and I love you and you don’t have to do those things anymore.’  I was lost inside.  I couldn’t connect with life.  I was incomplete.  I didn’t know what I needed to know.”

Last week we saw the Gospel in the story of David and Goliath, because we saw Jesus in it.  We saw that it’s not so much what David does to Goliath, as what Jesus has done to the greatest giant  in our life – sin, death, and judgment.  Because of Jesus’ victory over our Goliath, we can thoroughly rely on Him to equip us to gain victory over the lesser giants we may face.

But the truth is many of us still struggle.  We are His.  He has purchased us with His blood.  He has raised us to new life.  His work is complete.  He has gained absolute victory, and yet, we live lives of attempted compensation.  We live like Schwarzenegger, Toney, and Reynolds, seeking to bury our sense of inadequacy and cover our weakness, when in reality Jesus wants them to remain exposed.  And we see that in the story of Jacob at the Jabbok.

All his life Jacob has lived under a cloud of conniving.  In fact, his name means conniver.  The blessing he receives from his father is the product of blackmail.  He blackmails his brother.  He blackmails his father.  And the conniving doesn’t end there.  For twenty years he’s locked in a family battle with an uncle who’s just as surreptitious as he is.  And yet, twenty years earlier, at Bethel (Genesis 28), God confirms his love for him.  God confirms his election.  God confirms his future.

It isn’t until he comes to the River Jabbok (Genesis 32:22-22) that Jacob’s life is changed.  It isn’t until that point in his life that his walk is altered.

This week we will look at Jacob in light of the Jabbok.  There we will see what God does for him and for us.  The picture of Jacob after Jabbok is the picture of every Christian who wrestles with God and is overwhelmed by His grace.  There are three marks of Jacob’s post-Jabbok walk that mirror the walk of everyone who’s wrestled with God and discovered the depth of His grace.

In preparation for Sunday you may wish to consider the following:
 
1.      The meaning of the name Jabbok.

2.      Does Jacob do anything to prompt this encounter with God?

3.      What is Jacob’s state of mind when he comes to the Jabbok?

4.      Is there any significance to the time of day in which the wrestling occurs?  (Compare the Bethel encounter.)

5.      Who is wrestling with Jacob?

6.      Why does Jacob bow himself down seven times? (Genesis 33:5)

7.      What is the significance of Jacob’s answer in verse 5?

8.      Why does Jacob refuse his brother’s offer in verse 9?

9.      What noticeable changes are in evidence after the Jabbok?

10.  What could Jacob teach Arnold, James, and Burt about human weaknesses? 

See you Sunday!