Thursday, June 11, 2015

"Miracles, Parables, and the Wind of God" - Ken Wagoner

"Miracles, Parables, and the Wind of God" - Ken Wagoner

I had the privilege like many of you to attend the “Grand Opening” of The Blessing Board’s new facilities in Oakmont last Friday evening.  Quite frankly I was overwhelmed as I walked from room to room and at each corner I turned it seemed what was before me was larger than what I had just left!  I realize The Blessing Board is more than Hebron, but also know without Hebron’s support in people, resources, and finances The Blessing Board would not be what it is today.  Although I am an outsider to Hebron I have had the opportunity to see more of the inside of Hebron these last couple of years.  I would think you should know I am not a prophet, but I must say from my perspective I sense Hebron may be on the brink of some new and extraordinary growth.  I see that in your Beyond emphasis to encourage and support other ministries in the local area.  I have some familiarity with your Groves, your youth programs, Men’s and Women’s ministries, and the Holly Alm scholarships for summer camp.  I would assume you have some challenges you face as a church, but realistically as an outsider I will let you worry about these challenges as I focus on what I see as God’s blessings.

Of course, our Lord can have some other plans for you I don’t see.  He doesn’t owe you anything, and  we know you are not deserving of any blessing you may receive, but from an outsider’s perspective it appears to me God is pleased to use you for His glory in this period of your life. Our main scripture from Luke 5 this Sunday describes a time in the life of some of the early disciples when God was pleased to use them for His glory.  I believe there are things in this passage which could be helpful for making sure as individuals and a local body of believers you understand what God wants to do through you when He has His wind at your back.

I am grateful for the blessing you have been to me, and I pray I never take lightly the privilege of seeing God at work in and through you.  Below are a few thoughts to ponder before this Sunday, and ask you to join with me in prayer for God to be our focus and delight when we worship together this Sunday.


  1.  Read Matthew 4:18-22 and Mark 1:16-20.  These two passages are very similar, and are close to what we read in Luke 5:1-11.  I don’t really know if all three passages are meant to be the same story, but what do we learn from them?
  2. In Acts 9:31 we are told “the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria had peace and was being built up.  And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it multiplied.”   What were the circumstances before the “church had peace” and what does it mean to have the “fear of God” and “the comfort of the Holy Spirit” at the same time?
  3. Matthew 13:44-50 are three short parables of the Kingdom of God.  Each one of them describes what one would give to receive that which is of great value.  What does it mean to you to “treasure Christ above all?