Tuesday, August 9, 2016

"An Ancient Reminder for a Modern World" - Scott Parsons

As a young teen I distinctly remember watching the cultural revolution of the 60’s with fascination. I was too young and too sheltered to really understand the anger and the cultural battles that were taking place, but as I would sing along with Dylan’s "The Times They Are A-Changin’", I knew that the world I would live in was going to be significantly different than the world my parents had lived in…and I was right!

Some things, like racial and gender equality were better. Other things, like abortion, morality, anger and violence were worse. But it was my world and I have learned to be comfortable in it. Now, fifty years later, the times are changing again, and now I am on the other side of the change! I understand better now the fears and angst of the generation before me. I find myself looking back and wondering what happened to the country, culture and church that I knew; and looking forward with fear and uncertainty.

But how are we to look at the past, present and future as follower of Jesus? What is to be our anchor in the midst of turmoil and uncertainty, and our guiding principle as we forge ahead? That is what we are going to be talking about Sunday morning as we look at Isaiah 6:1-8. I would encourage you to read these verses several times, and then consider the following questions:

  1. What is the greatest motivator in your life? What vision guides you on your journey?
  2. How do you view people who are different from you (racially, culturally, sexually, economically)? How do you react when they challenge you? Disagree with you? Threaten you?
  3. How does God view you? Why?
  4. Does God have a purpose for your life? If so, what is it? Are you fulfilling the calling He has given you? Why or why not?

See you Sunday!