Thursday, September 1, 2016

"The Rescue" - Doug Rehberg

The Book of Galatians has been called:
  • “A little bomb” in the center of the New Testament
  • “The Magna Carta” of the Christian Faith
  • “A Capital Epistle” used to judge the authenticity of other canonical writings

William Holland was a friend of Charles Wesley. When he got his hands on Martin Luther’s commentary on Galatians and read the preface, he showed it to Wesley. They read it aloud to each other several times, and then they carried it around, reading it door to door. Holland writes:

“There came such a power over me that I cannot well describe it. My great burden fell off in an instant. My heart was so filled with love and peace that I burst into tears. I almost thought I saw our Savior. My companions, seeing me so affected, fell on their knees and prayed. And afterwards when I went into the streets, I scarcely thought I could feel the ground on which I tread.”

For Holland and Wesley, as for Luther, the Book of Galatians sets forth a RESCUE that only the God of the universe could plan and execute! What a Fall we have set before us!!

See you Sunday as we begin our series on "The Rescue".