Wednesday, March 15, 2017

"Knowing Yourself" - Doug Rehberg

In 1875, Englishman William Ernest Henley wrote a seminal poem entitled Invictus, meaning “unconquerable” or “undefeated”. It is described as a poem that evokes Victorian stoicism and a stiff upper lip. I think the first time I remember hearing it quoted in its entirety was by Dr. R.C. Sproul in a class he taught on Contemporary Theology in the early 1980s. He cited it as the perfect manifesto to secular humanism.

In the last 40 years little has changes when it comes to the secular worldview. The message of Invictus is as relevant today as it’s ever been for anyone staking claim to victory on the strength of his own indomitable spirit.

This is the poem that is said to have inspired South Africa. During his 27-year imprisonment on Robben Island, Nelson Mandella leaned upon its words. In his autobiography, Long Walk to Freedom, Mandella writes that it was this poem that helped him learn that “courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” If you saw Morgan Freeman’s brilliant portrayal of Nelson Mandella’s life story in the film, Invictus (2009), you know that he quotes this poem in its entirety at the end of the movie.

Out of the night that covers me, 
      Black as the pit from pole to pole, 
I thank whatever gods may be 
      For my unconquerable soul. 

In the fell clutch of circumstance 
      I have not winced nor cried aloud. 
Under the bludgeonings of chance 
      My head is bloody, but unbowed. 

Beyond this place of wrath and tears 
      Looms but the Horror of the shade, 
And yet the menace of the years 
      Finds and shall find me unafraid. 

It matters not how strait the gate, 
      How charged with punishments the scroll, 
I am the master of my fate, 
      I am the captain of my soul. 

When Morgan Freeman went on the Charlie Rose Show less than a year later, he quoted Invictus again and Rose was nearly speechless. It was as if Freeman had uttered a supernatural oracle.

Now I know nothing about the faith of Charlie Rose or Morgan Freeman, but what strikes me about Mandella is the disconnect between the stoicism of his Robben Island interment and the warmth and interpersonal passions of the rest of his life.

The reason I bring all of this here is because this week we will examine Galatians 5:26 where Paul speaks to the greatest problem facing anyone who wishes to walk in the Spirit. And the problem is as old as Genesis 3, and what Paul lays out in Galatians 5:26-6:5 is the key to gaining victory over our deadliest flaw. Here’s a hint. It’s the opposite of Victorian stoicism. It’s the opposite of rugged individualism. It is the heart of the Gospel, a message that’s relevant every day of your life and I can’t wait to explore it with you.

In preparation for Sunday’s message, you may wish to consider the following:
  1. How does verse 26 point to the relevance of the Gospel?
  2. What does “conceit” mean?
  3. What is the relationship between verses 14 and 15 and verse 26?
  4. How are “provoking” and “envy” the opposite ends of the continuum of self-possession?
  5. Why does Paul always connect walking in the Spirit to the nature of our interpersonal relationships?
  6. How does the fruit of the Spirit require relationships?
  7. Why does God say it’s not good for man to be alone in Genesis 2:18?
  8. What do I learn about myself from engaging with others?
  9. How does the Gospel enable me to live in accordance with Paul’s words in 6:3 & 4?
  10. How do I Corinthians 15:9, Ephesians 3:8, and I Timothy 1:15 fly in the face of the Invictus poem? What’s the good news here?
See you Sunday!