Wednesday, January 31, 2018

"The Power" - Doug Rehberg

In 2015 Andrew Peterson wrote a song that appeared on the album, “The Burning Edge of Dawn.” Here are the lyrics:

I cannot explain the ways of love
Life cannot explain the grace of kindness
There’s no reason that can satisfy enough
The healing of this blindness

I’ve been seized by the power of a great affection
I’ve been seized by the power of a great affection

And even in the days when I was young
There seemed to be a song beyond the silence
The feeling in my bones was much too strong
To just deny it. I can’t deny this

I’ve been seized by the power of a great affection
Seized by the power of a great affection

Now this is the theme of my song
Now I must forgive as I am forgiven
And even when the shadows are long
I will sing about the Son that’s risen

That His kingdom has no end
And His kingdom has no end

I will praise Him for the fields of green and gold
I will praise Him for the roar of many waters
I will praise Him that the secret things of old
Are now revealed to sons and daughters

I’ve been seized by the power of a great affection
I’ve been seized by the power of a great affection

So Father I will give you thanks and praise
The Son has opened wide the gate of glory
He declared your mighty love and gave His grace
And I will tell His story
It is my story

I’ve been seized by the power of a great affection
Seized by the power of a great affection….

Now whether Andrew Peterson knows it or not, that’s the essence of what James is saying in our text this week. You will note that it’s largely the same one Scott preached from last week. If you were at Hebron last week or listened to the podcast, you know that Scott spoke thoroughly about the reality of sin and how it’s not an intruder from the outside, but an internal resident of our heart. That’s what James means when he says, “Let no one say when he is tempted, ‘I am being tempted by God…”. James identifies the source of sin, it’s bred in our own hearts. If there’s any doubt about that, reread verses 14 and 15!

So what are we to do? Besides confessing our sin and turning away from it, is there anything else that we can do to see sin recede and righteousness rise in our lives? James, Jonathan Edwards, Thomas Chalmers, Samuel Rutherford, and Andrew Peterson say there is, and that is what we will be examining this week.

In preparation for Sunday you may wish to consider the following: 
  1. What does Jesus mean in John 14:15 when He says, “If you love me, you will keep my commandments?”
  2. Why does James use the worlds “lured” and “enticed” when he is referring to our desires?
  3. In Greek vs. 14 reads, “But each one is tempted by his lusts, having been drawn out and having been seduced by them.” Does this reading shed any light on what verse 14 is saying?
  4. How did Ulysses deal with the temptations the sirens posed? Is that effective?
  5. What is the deception James refers to in verse 16?
  6. How did Thomas Chalmers suggest dealing with sin?
  7. Why does God give us the capacity for desire and affection if it gets us into such trouble?
  8. How does verse 17 tie to verse 16?
  9. In verse 18 James speaks of the desire of another – whose? And what is that desire?
  10. In verse 18 James is alluding to a heavenly “show and tell”. Who is showing and what’s being told?
See you Sunday!