Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Obedience When It Doesn't Make Sense - Henry Knapp


All too often we forget the “human element” when reading Scripture. These were real people, in real-life situations with real feelings, hopes, and desires. And, contrary to what we might think, they were not so different from us. Yes, of course, they didn’t have technology like we do. Yes, their culture was vastly different from ours. Yes, we certainly have more information than they did. But still. They were human; and together we share basic human thoughts, desires, and emotions.

So imagine: what would it have been like to be told to march around an armed, hostile city for seven days? And then, on the seventh day, to march around it a lot, and then… scream loud! No other battle plan, no siege works, no military preparations, just… march and scream. I can’t imagine what must have been going through the Israelites’ minds as they marched around an enemy-infested Jericho (Joshua 6). What kind of lunacy was this?

It is possible to suppose that the people back then were just so superstitious that it was easy to believe their God when He told them to do something nutty. Or, it’s easy to imagine that ancient peoples somehow didn’t realize how improbable it was that their actions would have any effect. Or, perhaps folks back then were simply easily duped.

Or, could it be that, by and large, they were just like us; and when told to do something by God that sounds, well, simply outrageous—they struggled spiritually to do what God has commanded.

Certainly, I know that is my experience. So many times throughout my Christian life, my Lord has directed me one way or another, and I’ve thought… “No, He can’t mean that! That makes no sense whatsoever!” Honestly, taking that job? Helping that person? Denying myself that desire? I can’t see why God would insist on that; He must mean something, anything else but that!

Oh, the Christian faith would be so easy if it just meant doing what I want, thinking what I already think, acting according to my way of living. Obedience would be so much easier if I’m obeying what I already think I should do. But, what about when it makes no sense? What about when acting obediently means doing something that I really disagree with? Or, think is the wrong, unwise step? Come to think of it, is it really obedience in faith if I’m only acting on what I think is right?

Wouldn’t a much better sign of my obedience to my Lord be when I follow His command when I can’t make sense of it?

Obedience is simply my doing what I want, if all it is, is what I want.
Faith is simply faith in me, if all it is, is believing what makes sense to me.
Christianity is simply Henry-anity, if all it is, is… well… me!

But, true obedience, true faith, true Christianity is not me; it is Him! It is doing what He desires, if I understand it or not. It is believing His Word, if I like it or not. It is following Him, if I like where He is going or not.

Join me, as we strengthen our faith, seek to be obedient in all situations, and faithfully follow our Lord in every situation.

This week in preparation for worship, read John 5:1-17.

1. Jesus once again goes to Jerusalem. Why (vs. 1)? Why do you think more information is not given here about which feast is in view?

2. What significance is there to the pool? What would this look like for a Jew?

3. What happened to verse 4?

4. In verse 6, Jesus “knew” that the man had been there for a long time. How?

5. What is the man’s attitude toward Jesus? How do you read his “tone” in verse 7?

6. Break Jesus’ command in verse 8 into three separate parts. What might each imply?

7. Why would the Jews be so obsessed with the Sabbath day? What is right in their concern? What is wrong?