Wednesday, January 22, 2020

How to Spend a Life - Doug Rehberg


The man writes, “There was a time in my life when I thought the church talked too much about money. So, I stayed away. But in 1991 it all changed for me. It was then that I determined that I’ll never belong to a church that doesn’t ask me for money. And I’ll tell you why. On July 23, 1970, my wife gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. For three years we had tried unsuccessfully to start a family, and now he was here. I’ll never forget hearing his first cry. It was right before the hospital was allowing fathers in the delivery room, so I had to wait outside in the adjoining room. When the nurse came in to tell me, I spoke first. I said, ‘Is that my baby?’ The nurse smiled and said, ‘Yes, your wife has just given birth to a beautiful baby boy.’ I was on cloud nine. I had always wanted a boy, and here he was. I could hardly wait to get him home. But the rich glow of fatherhood soon dimmed when I was asked to go to the business office. It seems that my insurance coverage was less than advertised, and there was a big bill to pay. In fact, it seemed like they were going to hold my wife and son hostage until the bill was settled. So, I drove home, grabbed my checkbook and wrote out the biggest check I had written in years. But you know what? That was only the first check I’d write on my son’s behalf.

“I quickly learned that children are expensive. There’s food to buy and formula to get. And then there are all those diapers. There are doctor visits and booster shots. There are toys and trips and clothes to assault the checkbook on a regular basis. I quickly learned that by the time you build a wardrobe, he’s put on another inch or two and you have to start all over again. And as his size increased, so did the expenses. Soon, it was baseball gloves and hockey sticks. Soon, it was dress shoes, then gym shoes, then running shoes, not to mention the glasses and the braces. And then disaster hit. My son became a teenager. Now it was cars and dates and brand names. All my son ever wanted to be was an architect. It seemed like he’d be in school until my retirement. Talk about expensive! There was tuition and books, drawing tools and drawing tables. But, like most parents, we were happy to do it. We never saw our financial sacrifice as a bitter burden. He was growing up. He was pursuing his potential. He was living out his dreams, and it was a joy to help. In fact, my wife and I felt like that’s what we were there for.

“Then one day it all changed. On a bright, sunny, horrible day in October we buried our son, Lance, in a small country cemetery. And that afternoon, as we walked away from the grave, I had an interesting thought. We’d never spend another dime on him. Death is cheap. Death can be sustained without any expense. The dead have no need of money, only the living do. Life’s expensive. Growth costs. That’s why I’ll never belong to a church that doesn’t ask me for money.”

You know, the man’s right. There are churches that have no vision. There are churches that have no dreams and no plans. They set no goals and reach them all the time. There are churches that never challenge their people to see what the Lord has in store for them. They’re headed to the cemetery. They’re headed to the place where there are few expenses. For you see, its only growth that requires a cost. It’s only life that requires a sacrifice for a fuller future. And that’s exactly what we see in Sunday’s text: John 12:20-28.

For three years Jesus has been saying, “My time has not yet come.” Not only has Jesus been saying it, so has John. During his description of Jesus’ three-year ministry John has repeated the same message, “His time had not yet come.” But it all changes in John 12:23. This verse is the fulcrum on which the entire gospel of John rests. Everything to the left of it refers to Jesus’ three-year ministry before the final Passover, and everything to the right of it refers to what He does during and after it. And it’s in the immediate verses after His pronouncement that His time has come that Jesus gives us four secrets to getting the most out of His call on our lives. They are four principles of living that reflect what it means to follow Him. And this Sunday we will examine them together.

As you prepare for our study this Sunday, you may wish to consider the following:

1. What is it that triggers Jesus’ turnaround from, “My time has not yet come”, to “It’s here!”?
2. Why do many call verse 23 the watershed of John’s gospel?
3. What does the Greeks’ presence at the Passover mean to Jesus and to John?
4. How does loving your life cause you to lose it?
5. What does hating your life mean?
6. How does Romans 6:1-11 inform us?
7. Why would Paul, Peter, & John have a problem with the ubiquitous diagnosis in the church today that someone is “hurting”?
8. What’s Jesus mean in verse 24? What other Scriptures come to mind?
9. What does it mean to see where Jesus is at work and then joining Him?
10. How does that man who lost a son exemplify what Jesus is telling us in this text?

See you Sunday!