Tuesday, January 12, 2021

"Forbidden Fruit" - Doug Rehberg

For 2 days, 2 hours, and 10 minutes in August 2006 a Croatian named Veljko Rogosic swam, without stopping, 139.8 miles across the Adriatic Sea from Grado, Italy, to Riccione. It was the longest distance ever swum without flippers in the open sea. When he finished they gave him an appropriate nickname, “King of Cold Water”.

Years ago, before I left my 40s, I played basketball every Thursday night at a local elementary school. For 3 years, every week, I was known as Doug. I had total anonymity beyond the basketball court. Then it happened. One night one guy said to another, “You know who he is? He’s the senior pastor of Hebron Church.” However, by that time, my identity as “one of the guys” was finally fixed, so there was no shunning or raised eyebrows. But I did begin noticing some minor differences.

One night, a guy came into the gym having just heard of an arrest in the upper Midwest. The news reported that the authorities had been tracking the killer for months. They had suspected him of a series of murders, but when they arrested him they were shocked to find more victims than they had previously suspected. Under the floorboards of his house, were a number of mutilated bodies wrapped in plastic bags.

As my fellow hoopster was putting on his sneakers, he looked at me and said, “How could such a thing ever happen? What would cause a guy to do something like that?” The continuity of his stare made it clear that these weren’t rhetorical questions. He wanted an answer. So I said to him, “Are you shocked by this news?” He said, “You bet I am. I can’t believe someone could do this!” I said, “Well, frankly, I’m surprised that it doesn’t happen more often.” He was stunned. “What are you talking about?” he said. I said, “The human heart is deceitful and corrupt beyond all things, to the point that none of us can ever really know what’s in our hearts. The truth is, without the grace of God, any one of us is capable of everything that guy did and more. That’s why Jesus says, ‘It’s not what goes into a man that corrupts him, but what comes out of his heart.’ You see, without God’s grace, common and particular, every one of us could be that guy. I know I could.” As I spoke he just stared at me. When I finished he said, “That’s deep, man, really deep.” I said, “It’s true, man, really true.”

Now why could I say that? On what grounds could I turn the tables on him, saying, in effect, your surprise is misplaced? Genesis 3. We live in a world that assumes grace. We live in a world that believes that everybody’s good, except for a few bad actors. Nothing could be further from the truth and Genesis 3 tells us so. Listen to what Paul says in Romans 3:

            “None is righteous, no, not one;

No one understands;

            No one seeks for God.

            All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;

            No one does good,

Not even one.”

Where does he get that? Genesis 3. You see, the problem we have is our standard of judgment. We like to compare ourselves to others, especially those we believe are inferior to us. But the Bible never allows that. God’s measure is not horizontal, it’s vertical. The difference in the condition of Adam and Eve in Genesis 2 and 3 is day and night.

Think of it. If Mr. Rogosic, the “King of Cold Water”, was dropped off in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and told to swim to safety, he could clearly go a lot further than you, but never far enough. He could never save himself. Neither can you. The testimony of Genesis 3 is that unless God does all the saving, from beginning to end, we’re sunk. Where do we see that for the first time? Genesis 3.

This Sunday, in a message entitled, “Forbidden Fruit”, we are going to dig in to all of this. In preparation you may wish to consider the following:

1. What is the heart of the serpent’s challenge in verse 1?

2. What does Eve affirm in verses 2 & 3?

3. What is the ground of the temptation in verses 4 & 5?

4. What did Eve’s heart tell her in verse 6?

5. What was it that they discovered in verse 7 that they didn’t know before that?

6. Why the fig leaves?

7. Why is their reaction to their condition the same as ours?

8. What do verses 15 and 21 tell us about our ability to undo what sin has done?

9. How is our sin like Satan’s sin? (See Isaiah 14:12-15 and Ezekiel 28:12-19)

10. How is Genesis 3 the heart of the Gospel?

See you Sunday!