Thursday, January 5, 2012

Loving your Son

Hello! Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Jay Mitlo. I have been in ministry (both with YoungLife and as an Executive Pastor) for the past 16 years. Doug Rehberg has asked me to preach this Sunday on the subject of “Loving your son (child)”. My youngest son, Trey, was diagnosed on December 24, 2010 with Neuroblastoma. Neuraoblastoma is a very stubborn if not aggressive cancer that is tumor (rather than blood) related that occurs in babies and young children. After 12 months of treatment it has now been ruled by the doctors that Trey’s cancer is not curable. I have certainly seen the Lord do some amazing things through, but much more in, my family in the past year. It is my honor to share some of them with them you this week.

What makes parenting so hard? I apologize if I am assuming that you think it is hard. For those of you who are skipping through your parenting years wondering why everyone else is struggling, you may stop reading now. Obviously, there is no single answer to this question but a myriad that come to mind. What is it for you? I think a few things come to mind very quickly. Things like time commitments, other parents, today’s culture, etc. Yet, I believe that there are some base level issues that we all face that truly bog us down as parents. No matter what we try or what book we read we just get exasperated when dealing with raising “Godly (or at least not complete failure) children”.

The scripture this week needs a bit of an expository exception. I will be preaching primarily from Luke 15: 11-32. You know it as the story of the Prodigal Son. I say “expository exception” in that the reason Jesus told this parable is that He was defending His spending time with “sinners and tax collectors”, a charge made against Him by the Pharisees and scribes. Its main parallel is the son being “the lost” coming to know Christ and coming home to our Heavenly Father (his birth father in the parable). The acceptance he receives from his father is in direct contrast to that which he receives from his brother, symbolizing the stoic believer who offers no grace. That being said, I believe we can glean much wisdom from how this father treats his son(s).

I will leave you with a few questions in preparation for the sermon Sunday.
1. What do you struggle with as a parent?
2. How does your journey resemble that of the father in this selection?
3. How might you have handled a similar situation?
4. What stands out more to you about the Father? That he let his son go or that he welcomed him back?
5. What is your greatest fear as a parent? What is behind that fear?

I look forward to this Sunday. If you are not a parent this sermon will most assuredly pertain to you as well. The base level truths found in this scripture apply to most every part of our life and walk with Christ. I know that Rachel (my precious wife) and I are not the only ones facing heartache and tough times as parents. It has been our humble blessing to walk through these challenging times with some amazing people facing their own struggles as well. I will be praying that God will prepare your hearts and open your ears to hear His gentle whisper this Sunday.