Tuesday, August 11, 2020

"Humble and Holy" - Doug Rehberg

In these months of seemingly endless political debate, medical opinions shifting like the sands of the sea, speeches delivered in strident tones in churches and in every conference room on Capitol Hill, riots in the streets, politicians mounting rostrums or hiding in basements, and talking heads peppering the airwaves with polarizing sound bites, I have found myself drawn to the words of the Apostle Peter. In the final section of his first epistle he lays out a matter far more important and profound than anything anyone else is saying these days. Here in his closing chapter he chooses to return to topic number one; the greatest mark of holiness in anyone in whom the Holy Spirit is getting His way—HUMILITY!

This week, as I was preparing my message, “Humble and Holy”, I thought of another man who wrote a letter, 26 years ago, in the twilight of his life. So much of what he said mirrors the sentiment of Peter. Like Peter, he knew the arrogance and pomposity that swirled around him. Yet like Peter, he exhibited an attitude that is diametrically opposed to the prevailing attitude of his day or ours.

He began his political career as a Democrat, but later became a Republican. When asked why, he said, “Because the Democrats left me.” The more political power he accumulated, the more withering the attacks of his political opponents. By this time the left wing had perfected its ad hominem attack on the intelligence of conservatives. They began it with Nixon and Ford, but perfected it with Reagan. They said Ronald Reagan was shallow and stupid. They wrote articles like, “In Search of Reagan’s Brain”. But through it all Reagan smiled and persevered with quips like, “There you go again!” But in 2004 the truth of his mental acuity came to light. People were stunned. Upon his death hundreds of lengthy, detailed handwritten essays on a wide range of political and economic policies were found in his personal effects. His breadth of knowledge, his ability to express complexities in easily understood terms, was unassailable. Even William F. Buckley was astounded. Rather than being the most dim-witted American President, Ronald Reagan turned out to be one of its most erudite.

But, clearly his most stunning attribute was his humble optimism. Reagan walked in humility and optimism. Nothing shows this quality more than the letter he wrote on November 5, 1994, nearly 5 years after leaving office. Here’s an excerpt from his handwritten letter:

            “My Fellow Americans,

I have recently been told that I am one of the millions of Americans who will be afflicted with Alzheimer’s Disease.

Upon learning the news, Nancy and I have to decide whether as private citizens we would keep this a private matter or whether we would make this news known in a public way.

In the past Nancy suffered from breast cancer, and I had my cancer surgeries. We found that through our open disclosures we were able to raise public awareness… So now, we feel it is important to share it with you. In opening our hearts, we hope this might promote greater awareness of this condition. Perhaps it will encourage a clearer understanding of the individuals and families who are affected by it.

At the moment I feel just fine. I intend to live the remaining years God gives me on this earth doing the things I have always done. I will continue to share life’s journey with my beloved Nancy and my family. I plan to enjoy the great outdoors and stay in touch with friends and supporters.

Unfortunately, as Alzheimer’s Disease progresses, the family often bears a heavy burden. I only wish there was some way I could spare Nancy from this painful experience. When the time comes I am confident that with your help she will face it with faith and courage.

In closing let me thank you, the American people, for giving me the great honor of allowing me to serve as your President. When the Lord calls me home, whenever that may be, I will leave with the greatest love for this country of ours and eternal optimism for its future.

I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for America there will always be a light dawn ahead.

Thank you, my friends.

May God always bless you.

Sincerely,

Ronald Reagan”

Think of it. No ghost writer. Just Reagan himself, being himself—humble, honest, and indefatigably optimistic, in the face of losing his mental faculties.

That’s what we see Peter doing at the close of this letter. He is exceedingly humble and positive. Rabidly so. The theme runs throughout this letter. And as Henry pointed out last week in 4:12ff, for Peter, it’s all about attitude, an attitude based on fixing your eyes on the sufferings of Christ. What he says in 4:12 he elucidates in chapter 5.

Now, originally this week’s message “Humble and Holy” was to be the final one in this series on 1 Peter. But, due to the extraordinary importance of humble optimism in your life and mine, I have decided to take two weeks with chapter 5.

This week it’s “Humble and Holy” (verses 1-11). Next week it’s “The Power of Positive People”, (verses 12-14). In a world of pervasive pessimism, where pessimism is called realism, Peter begs to differ. He says that the message of the gospel of grace leads to unbridled optimism in everyone whom the Holy Spirit controls.

1. What is the nature of Peter’s exhortation in chapter 5?

2. How important is his statement in verse 1 that he recognizes himself to be a “fellow elder”?

3. Do you think he’s only addressing elders of the scattered church or every believer?

4. What two features of exercised oversight does Peter reject as poor examples of godly living?

5. How does Matthew 20:20-28 relate as a real-world example of what Peter is saying?

6. What example in Jesus’ earthly ministry can you cite for Peter’s admonition in verse 5(b)?

7. What Old Testament references are there for “the mighty hand of God?” (See verse 6.)

8. How does putting on humility (verse 5) result in casting all your anxiety on the Lord (verse 7)?

9. What’s the devil’s principle way of devouring us? (Verse 9).

10. What’s our reason for unbridled optimism according to Peter? (Verses 10 & 11).

See you this week and next!