Tuesday, November 16, 2021

"Prone to Forget" - Doug Rehberg

Scott Bolzan was in the middle of his usual morning routing as the CEO of a jet management company called Legendary Jets. On his way to get coffee, he stopped in the men’s room, and slipped on a puddle of what he thinks was cleaning oil. He says, “All I remember is my feet going above my head. That’s the last actual memory that I can recall.”

Bolzan awoke in the hospital. “He kept repeating what had happened, saying, ‘It was oily, it was slippery, I couldn’t get up,’” says his wife of 26 years. Scott said that a beautiful woman was standing over him. “I didn’t know who anybody was, all I know was that she was different.” Only later did he learn that she was his wife. “She came up to me and gave me a hug and a kiss, but I had no idea who this person was.”

Bolzan had suffered a blow to the back of his head and was treated for a severe concussion. After three days in the hospital, he was released and sent home. The doctors told him that he would be a little fuzzy, but would recover within a week.

Scott remembered the disorientation that followed the fall. “On the way home, it was, again, anxiety,” he said. “I’m like, ‘where am I going, what is this going to bring me now? Where do I live, what do I do?’ And then we walk in this house and I’m like, ‘OK, where do I go?’” On the outside he seemed fine. But what Bolzan didn’t tell anyone was that everything seemed foreign. He had no recollection of anything. Not his wife, not his children, not a single thing in their house. “Nothing looked familiar, not one thing,” said Bolzan. “You know, I’m sure I showered in that bathroom a thousand times, but nothing looked familiar… I started opening drawers and I went into my closets… I just started looking at things, but nothing looked familiar, but it looked like it would fit me so then I started rationalizing things: ok, maybe I did live here, maybe this is my house.”

But even more disturbing was that he had no clue who he was. “It was just a lost feeling of not knowing where I am in this world and who I am,” said Bolzan. It was later discovered that the fall had caused no blood flow to the temporal lobe, the part of the brain that stores memory.

When you come to the first chapter of Exodus you read a statement that smacks of Scott Bolzan and his accident. The Bible says, “Now there arose a king over Egypt, who did not know Joseph.” At first glance you say, “Of course he didn’t know Joseph, it’s 400 years later. Four hundred years have elapsed between Joseph’s salvation of Egypt and this new Pharaoh.” And while that may be true for 21st century Americans who can’t remember many lessons of the past, especially when it comes to authoritarian government overreach, nothing about the Ancient Near East mirrors modern-day American amnesia.

When the Bible says that the new Pharaoh did not know Joseph, it means that he forgot the entire history of his nation. Remember that the Egyptians build pyramids for precisely that reason – to remember their past. But this Pharaoh forgot.

Think of it. He forgot the seven-year famine. He forgot the meteoric rise of that Hebrew servant and ex-con who single-handedly saved the nation from starvation. In a culture that prided itself on remembering, he forgot.

It’s hard to imagine until you examine your own Christian life and you see how frequently we forget our Joseph. It’s as if the Bible anticipates the extent of our common amnesia by ending the Book of Genesis the way it does. What we have in chapter 50 is a complete portrait of who Jesus is and what He’s done. The resemblance is uncanny. No wonder every New Testament writer finds Genesis their primary source of explaining the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Jesus is all over the Book of Genesis, particularly in Genesis 50 and our final glimpse of Joseph.

We will wrap up our 47-week study of Genesis this week with a message entitled, “Prone to Forget.” The text is Genesis 50: 1-6, 12-26. In preparation you may wish to consider the following:

1. Why does the Bible repeatedly warn us about the importance of remembering?

2. Where do you see Jesus in Genesis 50?

3. What does verse 24 say about Joseph’s view of the future?

4. How shocking is this statement in light of his audience?

5. What one sentence does the writer of Hebrews use in describing Joseph?

6. Why does the writer consider these words rather than what Joseph says in verse 20?

7. Do you think that Joseph’s brothers are accurately representing what their father said before he died?

8. What does verse 25 tell us about Joseph and Jesus?

9. What one attribute of Joseph do you think is the most comprehensive when you consider his life, particularly in this final chapter?

See you Sunday!