Wednesday, January 5, 2022

"I Believe..." - Henry Knapp

Christian, what is it you believe? 

One of the formative moments in my ministry was early on when I was sitting at a fast food restaurant on Pitt’s campus with a college student talking about our different views of Christianity. I was in my first years of campus ministry, and learning how best to articulate my faith and encourage others to follow Jesus. This was exactly the setting I was hoping to find myself in—sitting with a young person, sharing about Jesus. The young woman I was speaking with was pleasant and more than willing to listen to what I believed, and I was interested in getting her to share what she believed. I was anticipating an encouraging and insightful conversation, one where I prayed the Lord would use to reveal Himself to this college student. So, when she said, “I believe God is a big cat,” I was a bit floored. 

“A big cat?” I ask, befuddled, confused. “Yes, a big cat, really big cat,” she says. 

“OK,” I’m trying to work with this, “OK, you mean God is LIKE a big cat?” (I ask, hopefully). “No,” she says, “God IS a big cat.” 

No, I think, she can’t mean that. “With whiskers and all?” “Yup! A really big cat!” That’s it. I’m out. 

Honestly, I don’t know for sure, but I think she was serious. I think that she really held to the belief that God is a big cat. Where did she get such an idea? Why would she hold to such an idea? HOW could you hold such an idea? But, in the end, I guess I couldn’t question the sincerity with which she believed. I think she really and fervently believed that God was a cat.

What do we say to someone who believes, and believes passionately, but believes something… crazy? There is a curious overlap between our contemporary society and the teachings of modern Christianity when it comes to “belief.” By in large, American culture as a whole values belief—we are frequently told that we need to believe, to trust, to have faith, and in doing so, we will be blessed. Of course, that message sounds so similar to that which the Church says as well: “You must have faith!”

 There should be a difference, however. When the world encourages us to “believe,” they are largely speaking of the depth and strength of our inner convictions. If you but hold fast to your beliefs, zealously trusting in your innermost opinions, then in the end things will work out for you. The emphasis is not on what you believe, but simply in the existence of belief itself. If you have belief, and hold strongly to it, then you do well, regardless of what you believe in. 

But this is not at all what the Scriptures speak of when they talk of the necessity of faith. One undeniable characteristic of biblical faith is what we put that faith in. In other words, the content of our faith is as important as the passion with which we hold it. Christians are not marked by having faith—lots of people, indeed, everyone, has faith. What is distinctive about the Christian is that he or she has faith IN JESUS. It is the object of our faith that makes the Christian distinct from the world, not the mere existence of a strongly held opinion. 

It is important to note, however, that biblical faith is not just “right thinking.” As important as the content of true faith is for the believer, it is also important that faith be exercised in our lives. Faith is an active thing, it is trust, or reliance on something. One has not real “belief” if it is not acted upon. To “believe,” in the Bible, is to hold passionately to Christ, the object of our faith. 

Over the next weeks, we will be exploring our faith—the content of what we believe, and the focus of our trust and reliance, Jesus Christ! 

In preparation for worship this Sunday, read Mark 9:14-29. 

1. After reading this story, note that it occurs immediately after the transfiguration. Why do you think God so ordained this event to follow that one? Why do you think the crowd was “greatly amazed” when they saw Jesus? 

2. The setting is an argument between the scribes and the disciples. As the story develops, we see that the disciples were unable to cast out the spirit which possessed the boy. What do you think the scribes and the disciples were arguing about? 

3. When Jesus hears of the possession, he laments, “O faithless generation…” (vs. 19). He is clearly disappointed (or annoyed). Who do you think he is disappointed in? 

4. In verse 21, Jesus asks how long the possession has taken place. Why do you think he asks this? (By the way, I have no idea, so if you have a good suggestion, please let me know!) 

5. In verse 22, the father says, “if you can do anything…” Why do you think he phrases it that way? Is he doubting? 

6. Notice that Jesus acted when he saw a crowd gathering (vs. 26). Why do you think that “prompted” Him to act when He did? 

7. In verse 29, Jesus says that this kind of spirit can only be cast out by prayer. What do you think Jesus means there? Are there other kinds of spirits cast out other ways?