Tuesday, December 6, 2022

The Coming of the Snowmobile - Henry Knapp

 The Coming of the Snowmobile

 It was a cold, blustery winter’s night and I was in the middle of nowhere in my very unreliable old junker of a car driving home from visiting a friend when, suddenly, wham, I was head first in a ditch, the car firmly anchored in a snowbank, my back tires off the ground. Shaken, but whole, I worried that I might be on this lonely road for hours, when, to my great surprise and joy, there appeared in the distance a solitary light, slowly growing. Imagine my relief when pulling alongside was a snowmobile with a grizzled old driver who dismounted, looked my car over, and grunted that he couldn’t help me; and to my great dismay… pulled away and left me stranded! In but a short time, I went from a sense of relief that I was rescued to the shocked panic that I was abandoned miles away from any help or safety.

 I had misunderstood what the coming of the snowmobile had meant. It certainly was not unreasonable for me to assume that the coming of the snowmobile would lead to needed assistance, but reasonable or not, my assumption was wrong. What I thought the coming meant, it did not.

 Hours later another “coming” brought the assistance I needed, and I eventually made it home that night. I have to tell you, when that second passerby drove up, I was quick to check my assumption that help had arrived.  I did a simple thing, I asked. What is the meaning of your coming at this time? Are you here to help? And, indeed he was—I was saved!

 Jesus has come. That is the celebration of Christmas, and the anticipation of that coming is what Advent is all about. But, like my snowmobile driver, sometimes we make assumptions as to the meaning behind the coming. It is easy to assume that Jesus’ Christmas coming is meant to satisfy me, that it is about what I want, to make it all about me.

 And, of course, in some marvelous way, Jesus did come for me! For you!

 However, our assumptions about Jesus’ birth at Christmas often lack scriptural depth. What is important about Jesus’ coming is not what we want it to mean, but what God Himself intended it to mean. Yes, there is great, great meaning behind the birth of the Son of God, but that meaning should be based on what God tells us, not simply on what we want to imagine Christmas to mean.

 Yes, Christmas is a marvelous family time. Yes, it is a time to envision peace on earth, goodwill towards all. Yes, it is a time of giving and receiving. But all these serve as pointers toward a great, more meaningful purpose. And how do we discover what that purpose might be? We ask! We look in the Scripture for the reasons God Himself gives for sending His Son. In the Gospels Jesus states at various times the reasons why He was born that Christmas morn, “I have come…,” He says.

 This week in worship we will look at one of those reasons—Jesus says, “I have come not to be served, but to serve” (Mark 10:45), and what a great reason that is! Come join us as we study this text together.

 In preparation for Sunday, read Mark 10:45.

 1. The context here is very important. Look at the surrounding verses—how does Jesus’ stated purpose contrast with what is generally thought? How does the Christmas coming of Jesus challenge our normal way of thinking?

 2. Jesus once again refers to Himself as “the Son of Man.” Recalling that refers to His divinity, how does that impact His statement here?

 3. Why does Jesus remind people He did not come to be served? Why would people naturally think that way? How might that factor into your own interactions with the Lord?

 4. What does it mean that Jesus came to serve? Serve who? Serve how?

 5. How have you personally experienced the “serving” of the Lord? Can you identify particular instances in your life where Jesus “served” you? What response might be expected here?