Monday, April 24, 2023

"Donut Miss It" - Dan Bender

Everybody says they can remember where they were or what they were doing when major events happened in the past. I am no different. When I was in college, we decided it was a good idea in the first week or so into the school year to try to stay out all night long and get in line to be the first people who were in line when the Cranberry Krispy Kreme was opened. I can't say that ultimately it was the best decision, as staying up all night usually isn't. But we did have a lot of fun playing ultimate Frisbee in the adjacent Kmart parking lot.

As the morning drew nigh, the line started to grow, and we did in fact get pretty close to being the first ones. We were only beat out by this one lady who brought a tent; and, apparently, this is what she does. She travels to the openings whenever they happen. So, on the one hand we didn't get to be first, but we did get on the news.

There is likely a video clip out there in the ether of the group of us with a megaphone leading different cheers to the people who were behind us in line. Making a pure spectacle of ourselves all for some donuts.

So, after it was all said and done, we got the donuts and headed back to campus; and I went back to bed. I slept until the afternoon. When I woke up, it was like everyone on campus had left. I couldn't find anyone on my floor. I lived on the 3rd floor. As I descended the steps, I came across some people in the lounge, and I asked them where everyone was. They said everyone had made their way to pray in the gym. They asked, “How could you not know what is going on right now”?? I told them about where I was. That is when I sat down and started watching the only TV around. This was the morning that 9/11 happened.

This week we are going to be looking at another moment. Perhaps the most important moment in history and how people interacted with it. We are going to walk a little bit down the Holiday Road and catch up with Jesus and the two bewildered men.

Read Luke 24:13-35 (this week’s text) and interact with the following questions:

1. Who were the two men who were walking down the road?
2. What do you find interesting about the interaction between these two and Jesus?
3. Why do you think that this interaction is important to the overall story?
4. At what point did they really understand that it was indeed, in fact, Jesus among them?
5. Have you ever been walking through life and been unknowingly in Jesus’ presence?
6. If you were able to realize His presence, what allowed you to do that?