Monday, May 8, 2023

Biblical Panini - Henry Knapp

 I’ve come late to the table when it comes to the panini. I’m not sure exactly when I discovered these marvels, but I know that others have been singing their praises long before I got on the bandwagon. Well, strike up the band, cause I’m on board now!

 What’s not to love? Bread, glorious bread! And inside, warm, toasted meats with cheese oozing. Goodness! I’m making myself hungry.

 One odd note I have noticed about the panini… I’m not sure if it is the bread or the insides that I like more. Sometimes it’s a no-brainer: the bread! But, often I find myself drooling over the goodness inside. Maybe that’s just the glory of a Panini—the best part is when it comes together as one.

 In the past weeks, we have noted the Gospel writer, Mark’s, use of a literary tool, “the sandwich.” In “the sandwich,” an author begins one story (the top slice of bread), shifts to a totally different story (the meat/cheese), before returning to his original story (bottom bread). The idea is that the two stories interact or interpret one another, so that by consuming the whole, you are getting something more meaningful than just one or the other. The whole sandwich is better taken together than the parts.

 Over the next two weeks, we will be looking at my favorite Markian sandwich—the intertwined stories of Jairus’ daughter and the bleeding woman (Mark 5:21-43). And, I find myself with a familiar conundrum: Which story do I like better? Jesus raising Jarius’ young daughter from the dead or his healing of the woman? Like consuming a panini, I go back and forth—sometimes the bread, sometimes the insides.

 But, of course, the glory of a panini is in taking it as a whole; and we will experience this excitement as we look at Mark’s sandwich. Jesus’ interaction with the bleeding woman, interfering as it does with the drama of Jairus’ daughter growing sicker every minute.  His taking the time to engage with the woman is a vivid moment, especially as we then hear of the daughter’s death. Jesus has come to save; and the scope, breath, and depth of that salvation is brilliantly displayed in the interweaving of these two events.

 Could Mark have recorded these two miracles as separate stories? Of course. The marvels of Jesus’ healing of the woman and raising the daughter are amazing in any way you take them. Then why did Mark chose to wrap them together? Here is truly an instance of when the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The Gospel message, the redemption, the cost, the love, all come to us so much more powerfully when we see these two expressions of Jesus’ salvation together.

 Come, let us consume this sandwich together and praise the Lord of salvation we find there!

 1. What social rank would the bleeding woman be in? Can you guess at reasons why she would be viewed on the lower ranks of society?

 2. Why would she think that just touching Jesus’ cloak would bring her healing? Sometimes we slip into such thinking… can you give an example?

 3. Now, she was healed, but not by Jesus’ cloak! What does Jesus do/say that clarifies that?

 4. By forcing the woman to reveal herself, Jesus seems to be embarrassing her. Assuming that is not His motive, why did He publically “call her out”? Note: Notice the “publically” part.

 5. If it was not (just) from embarrassment, why did the woman come to Jesus “in fear and trembling and fell down before Him”? (Verse 33)? Have you had such an experience?