Wednesday, March 27, 2019

How Then Shall We Live - Scott Parsons


The book of Colossians is Paul’s treatise on the preeminence of Christ.  Having spelled out in chapter 1 how Christ is supreme over everything, he spends the rest of the letter explaining how we should live in view of this fact.  The passage we will look at Sunday, Colossians 4:2-6, is Paul’s summary of how we should live in view of our new life in Jesus.

Ordinarily I would now go on to expound on the truths of this passage, but I would like to deviate from that pattern today.  While my continued role with PitCare will ensure that I will be returning to Pittsburgh (and Hebron) on a regular basis, this is the last time I will be a part of the preaching rotation.  Part of my joy in preaching this week is that I know that I will not be preaching anything new to you but will be reminding you of the gospel truths that you are already demonstrating as a church body.  I know that because you have demonstrated them over and over again in my life and in the life of my family.

For over a year we searched for a church home and had begun to fear we would not find a suitable place.  From our very first week at Hebron you did not treat us with suspicion or concern (most pastors don’t like other pastors coming in and “invading their turf”).  Instead you welcomed us and provided us with opportunities to use our gifts among you.  You also joined with us in our ministry at PitCare and have become a huge part of that work.  You embraced my family and treated Lilah with love and respect.  Most of all, when Kim died, you provided for us in ways that are still mind boggling to me.  I honestly don’t know if I could have done it without you.  Finally, Doug has not only been a shepherd to my family, but a friend to me.  I am excited about the new life before me, I will miss my church home.  May God bless, strengthen and encourage you as you serve him in the years to come.

Blessings,

Scott