Thursday, June 6, 2019

It Is Finished - Doug Rehberg


It’s often been said that nobody likes a quitter. But today quitting seems almost fashionable. Kids quit school to turn pro. Politicians retire from public life to spend time with their families, even though many are in the prime of life.

Most of us on some level know what it’s like to have a love/hate relationship with something we are obligated to do. On the one hand, we fantasize about the feeling of relief we would get if we chucked it all. On the other hand, we know the feeling of satisfaction that comes in sticking it out.

Recently, I came across two stories of men who decided to quit their jobs and pursue an entirely different career path. In the first case, the man worked in Britain’s military defense system. Instead of writing a letter of resignation he baked a cake that read:

“To management:

Today is my 31st birthday, and having recently become a father I now realize how precious life is and how important it is to spend time doing something that makes me, and other people, happy.

For that reason I hereby give my notice of resignation, in order that I may devote my time and energy to my family and my cake business which has grown steadily over the past few years.

I wish the organization and my colleagues the best for the future and I remind you that, if you enjoy this cake, you can order more at www.mrcake.co.uk. Sincerely, Chris Holmes, (Mr. Cake).”

The second resignation was a bit more indiscrete. Steven Slater, a flight attendant, announced over the plane’s public address system that he had taken his last abuse from a passenger and that he was quitting his job. With that he grabbed two beers from the drink cart, deployed the plane’s evacuation slide, and exited the plane.

Now if ever there were a man who would have many reasons to quit it’s Jesus. When you factor in His sovereignty and power, He could have gotten down off the cross in a New York minute without the help of Elijah (Mark 15:36) or God (Matthew 27:43). But He doesn’t. He stays throughout all the mocking, all the darkness, all the judgment. He stays there all the way to the 6th word!

Now think of it. If the 4th word is the heart of the cross, the 6th word is the guts of the cross. John says, “When Jesus received the sour wine, he said, ‘It is finished,’ and bowed his head and gave up his spirit.”

John is the only gospel writer to include this final declaration from Jesus. The three others mention a second loud cry, but never tell us what He says. Only John tells us. For John the 7th word doesn’t even matter in light of this 6th word. In the English translations of the Bible what Jesus says is three words – “It is Finished”, but in Greek it’s one word – Tetelestai.

A few weeks ago a woman approached me before the 8:15 service and said, “I can’t wait to get to Tetelestai. 15 years ago you preached three sermons on it, and I have notes.” This time Henry and I are preaching on it, one sermon apiece. This Sunday is part I.

In preparation for Sunday’s message, “It Is Finished”, (part one) you may wish to consider the following:

1. Why do you suppose John is the only gospel writer to include the 6th word?
2. What does Jesus mean by saying it?
3. Does the Greek word itself give us any help with His meaning?
4. How does that declaration relate to you and your faith?
5. Who is the primary audience for the 6th word?
6. The other day you may have read these words from Matthew’s gospel: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come to fulfill them.” How do they relate to the 6th word?
7. What does Romans 8:21-39 have to do with the 6th word?
8. What does Hebrews 2:5-15 have to do with the 6th word?
9. How does the 6th word reinforce Paul’s declaration in Colossians 2:13-15?
10. Someone has said, “John 19:30 should be a dearer, more beloved text for the Christian than John 3:16.” Would you agree?

See you Sunday!