Tuesday, January 31, 2023

The Cost of Doing Nothing - Dan Bender

You know, if we are honest…We all look for excuses to not do things. Sometimes those excuses can be so elaborate that we put more energy into not doing something than actually doing it. I have seen this firsthand when I ask my kids to help with something. Even at their young age they are superiorly cunning when it comes to figuring out ways to not do something that I or Leah ask them to do.

If I am totally honest, they learned that skill set from me. A famous comedian once said that Dads are experts in the art of doing nothing. In order to do nothing, they are magicians in doing something to keep them doing nothing. I have come up with some pretty clever schemes in my life to get out of doing things that I did not want to do. If I were to catalogue these, I am sure that there would be a representative from Guinness World Records giving me a call to talk about my prowess in doing nothing.This week we are going to examine what happens when Jesus confronts us in the space of our doing nothing. While this Scripture for you to study is not where I will be going with the sermon this week, it is a masterclass about what it looks like when we do something vs. doing nothing.

 Read Matthew 25:14-30 and spend some time with the following questions:

1. If you were the master, would you have done things differently with how you might respond to the servants?

2. Have you ever considered calculating the cost of doing nothing more than the cost of doing something?

3. What is a specific thing that you can point to where you paid the cost for inaction?

4. Take time to pray about some areas in your life where you might need to make changes and ask someone you trust to hold you accountable to the change you potentially need to make.