Wednesday, July 5, 2023

"Leaning into the Lord's Deliverance" - Dan Bender

When I was younger I spent some time playing bass for church. Now, I must confess, I knew nothing about what I was doing but putting my fingers in the right spots to make the sound come forth. I cannot read a lick of music, I have tried. It is like a foreign language to my eyes, but my ears...they seem to work. So, interestingly enough, most church songs 20 some years ago were not hard to play in terms of the bass. Now, I am sure they are far more complicated. Nevertheless, I can remember one song in particular which seemed simple, but proved to be pretty difficult for me. We were attempting to play one of U2's songs in youth group. It was 40. (Pronounced For - E with the best Irishness you can muster).

This song was built off of the bass line. I couldn't get it down. It came time to actually play the song at youth group; and as you might have guessed, I butchered it. I mean it was so bad that I still get embarrassed about it now some 20 years later and am much better at playing now. It is all of that to say, sometimes I think that we treat our Christian lives in a manner such as I have viewed this bass line. We feel as if we have to play it perfectly or else it isn't worth its tune. I was so focused on getting all of the notes right, i was not paying attention to what I was really doing. I was playing a new song. Now, it took some time, but eventually I got it.

Some of the words from 40 actually ring true when it comes to how I was frustrated. “How long to sing this song?” says Bono. I said the same thing.  Like “Lets just get it over with”, or “How long must we endure this??”

The older I get the more I understand that it isn't how perfectly I play the line, it is that I play for the King. When I try to force my fingers to hit the right notes I can and sometimes mess up. But what if I were to submit my fingers and be guided to the notes? Using the ears that God gave me to hear the music He wanted me to play? Turning frustration into persistence and even perhaps a nice tune.

It all stems from my understanding of deliverance. I bet on some level you might identify with me in this. For many years, I assumed that when I was delivered from my sin and shame that it was gone like I had been told. It was years and wisdom that helped me understand that while the immediate and long term consequence of sin (that which I have been delivered from) is still an active force in this world. You see...It wasn't just me who was affected by it; like I was the only person playing in the band. It impacts all of the created order. So, while I stand reconciled and redeemed, I stand next to that which is not. So....what do we do with this reality?

We need to introduce a new song. That song is the Good News of the Gospel. It is a new song that for those who are delivered and need deliverance, need to sing every day. How long? How long? How long? How long to sing this song?

Every. Single. Day.

This week read Psalm 40 in its entirety.

Reflect on the following.

1. How often do you sing the new song of the Gospel to yourself? 

2. Who in your life can attribute knowing the new song because you have sung it to them? 

3. Do you ever have a hard time believing that you have actually been delivered from the sin and shame in your life? 

4. Do you know anyone who says the same thing about themselves? 

5. Make a plan to sing a new song to yourself this week and someone who you know needs to hear it.